Supartz Knee Injections
Supartz is used for treating knee pain in patients with osteoarthritis who have not received relief from other treatments. It is a hyaluronic acid derivative that works by increasing the effectiveness of the fluid within the knee joint to act as a lubricant and shock absorber.
Preparing for a Supartz Knee Injection
Some medical conditions may interact with Supartz. Tell your doctor if you have any medical conditions, especially:
- If you are pregnant, planning to become pregnant, or are breast-feeding
- If you are taking any prescription or nonprescription medicine, herbal preparation or dietary supplement
- If you have allergies to medicines, foods or other substances
- If you are allergic to birds or bird products (eggs, feathers, poultry). Some brands of Supartz may contain ingredients that come from chickens
- If you have received another injectable medicine in the same joint in which Supartz will be injected
Some medicines may interact with Supartz. Tell your doctor if you are taking any other medicines, especially quaternary ammonium salts (benzalkonium chloride), because side effects may occur.
Most patients experience little or no discomfort during the injection.
Someone may need to drive you home from the doctor’s office after you receive Supartz. Additionally, you may experience a temporary inflammation in your knee after using Supartz. If the inflammation is severe or continues, contact your doctor.
Avoid strenuous activity or prolonged weight-bearing activity (more than 1 hour) , such as running, tennis, heavy lifting and standing for at least 48 hours after injection.